Monday, February 3, 2014

A Refashion - was two shirts, now a skirt

upcycling
It started with two shirts at a total cost of $2.50. The stripe being 100% linen man's XL and the white top being cotton/elastic woman's M.
I chopped off the sleeves and took off pockets and the gorgeous labels. 
Unpicked the pockets and cut some more pockets from the sleeves.

Then I sewed new pockets onto the old back of the shirt and added back the details from the labels.
Used the white T-Shirt by cutting it just under the arms, doubling it over and stretching it to the top of the new skirt. It makes a lovely big easy to wear waistband. 

upcycle clothing, skirt
Voila a new skirt 
This is the fit on me (with my T-Shirt up a bit to show the waistband etc.

I finished this at 10pm last night and went to show Aaron. He then commented that it was not "quite right" and did not suit me. I had used a linen skirt with this type of waistband as the pattern but was a bit worried about it being to tight on me. 

So I went back to the mirror and I have to say - He is right - (he asked if I would confess on my blog). This skirt is OK. I can muck around in it at home etc but it is not flattering like the other skirt is. Tow reasons I think - 1. It is a stripe and the other is plain and I mainly wear plain - so something we are not used to 2. I have been trying to loose weight and am so far at 9kg loss BUT I still find myself looking at clothes thinking I am too big to fit the. This would have been a perfect fit if I was my 9kg heavier. So I might wear it for a while and then pass it on. But I will keep experimenting!!!




8 comments:

  1. I still think it is super cute- love the stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog! I think this skirt looks great - what a good piece of repurposing:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You refashionistas... seriously - the skill involved, whether it fits or not, always astounds me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regardless of the fit ( and I totally get it....I've lost about 9kgs myself ) it's still looks great and a thrifty to skirt to increase your wardrobe for the time being......go you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a great idea to experiment and re-purpose. Thanks for sharing your finish, and for being so honest about your impressions of it! It helps the rest of us to find what might work (or not) for ourselves ! :)

    I like the skirt, it doesn't look "wrong" on you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stripes are hard to wear, but I think it looks great and I love repurposing things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, that is fabulous and your are a super recycler! Looking goood!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I think that skirt is adorable and looks great on you! And congrats on losing the 9kgs! You really have a talent for upcycling! Love this! congrats on a great finish and thanks for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....