Friday, May 27, 2016

Trying to be more adventurous

A long time ago I started embroidering squares with my boys memory verses from school, thinking it would make a great quilt.
I then patched it all together with scraps that were given to me or left over from other things. This was August 2015 by now and then I parked it. Too difficult to quilt, so I put it in my pile of things to finish.

This is where being adventurous begins. Normally when quilting I just do an all over pattern, as fast as possible to get it done.  

But this time I decided to try new patterns as I really need to get better at quilting than just using it to keep all the bits together. So I used a Koru style pattern around the embroidery. A clamshell pattern in each of the teal flying geese, no matter the size. So some of the quilting is tiny!!

Then I got stuck. The borders where there is no patchwork I tried a more flowing style of quilting. Not as good as I have seen others do but I know that practise makes perfect and it fits really well with the fabric choice.

Then I resorted to a general stipple on the rest. So this is quite heavily quilted.

patchwork quilt
As usual Morris managed to photo bomb. I have no idea what I am going to do with the quilt. It is a single bed throw size. So trimming and binding to do. But then it is not relevant to give to the orphans as it relates to our school. I thought one of my two boys would jump at it as they are both quite sentimental. But no. 

Anyway, pleased to have pulled this out and finished the quilting.

Thursday, May 19, 2016

A small giraffe

Well I have finally finished. This giraffe is a Melly and Me pattern that I shrunk by 50%. I started it before Luca was born and he is now six month old!! Not good.
I have a lovely book called "Giraffe's can't dance" that originally inspired me to start making these as gifts for newborns. Baby's can clutch the legs and necks with their tiny hands. 
Now I need to find another copy of the book and send it off.

Monday, May 16, 2016

A finished quilt for charity

Well this week I posted my last huge university assignment onto the website, so to celebrate I sat at the sewing machine. I could not work out how to quilt this together without affecting the look of the cats. So I just did an all over stipple.
patchwork and quilting

The original quilt top was sent in by Jennifer, my sister then sewed borders and I sandwiched, quilted and bound it. All ready for the orphans at Hope Homes International.

The high winds we have been having stopped us going out in the caravan this weekend so I took Eli out for a date night. We both had a blast. For a total of $40 we went to the movies, had dinner, bought a gift each and rode on the coolest things in the mall.

This finish has gotten me inspired to get on with stuff, so I started finishing a giraffe. Then it stopped hmmm.

Linking to these places

Monday, May 9, 2016

A bit of outside time and a new seat.

When Eli and Aaron were away in Kaikoura Jakob and I went and purchased a huge slab of Macrocapa. Aaron had made two Gambian squares as legs. But now we needed to take off all the bark and start sanding to make it gorgeous.  Chisels and hammers being wielded. 

The weather has been so good we have been able to do this after school one day. Of course the mucking around then starts!

Then the boys tidied up all the prunings I was making. Try spotting the boys!!

Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Whole lot of unpicking going on.

Well I have been redoing a quilt for Hope Homes International. I had pinned this out but when basting (stitching in the ditch) the back all puckered, the front tucked up. Disaster. So I took a deep breath and seam ripped the whole lot. Re pinned and now stitched in the ditch all over to secure. But am struggling with how to quilt it. Hmm.

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Bed ends, now a chair.

Aaron and Jakob headed into Mt Cook National Park and up to Mueller Hut. Eli and I stayed behind and got some stuff done. This chair I made from a bed end and bed head. I finally gotten around to finishing the sanding and giving it a polyurethane coat to finish. Yay

It had originally looked like this when I made it.

Eli had his friend over to stay and I could not get down the hallway without being blasted by Nerf guns pellets. They had so much fun with their barricade and it left me to finish the seat, sew and do my assignment.

Up to Mt Ollivier

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....