Today I have made my cousin-in-law beetroot recipe. It is so quick and easy and tastes yummy. I don't seem to be able to grow beetroot - I try every year and just don't get roots - sigh. So resorted to buying some. So beetroot with a roast vege and feta salad. (Yet another cousins recipe - Yes I have stacks of cousins which makes sense as my mother was from a family of 10!!).
4 large beetroot
¾ cup water
1½ cups white vinegar or ¾ cup apple cider vinegar with ¾ cup malt vinigar
¾ cup sugar
½ teaspoon peppercorns
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon mustard seeds
½ cinnamon stick
¼ teaspoon salt
1. Wash beetroot thoroughly and cook in water until tender.
2. Cool and remove skin. (either by hand or use a knife)
3. Cut beetroot into slices or julienne strips.
4. Place all other ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes and then strain.
6. Pack beetroot into hot sterilised jars and top up with vinegar mixture.
7. Seal and store in a cool place.
This can be eaten on the day you make it, unlike some recipes that are better if left to mature. So no bottling for me - straight into my tupperware drain and serve!!!