Monday, July 15, 2013

A purse that turns into a bag


Need to use it - just unzip it
Ready to pop into a bag when shopping















Now this is an idea that I have been wanting to try for ages. Somehow from start to finish this took me three weeks. Pure procrastination (and the first time I put the zip in it was the wrong way around!!).

I found the idea and amazing tutorial here. Sew Mama Sew is a blog I follow. Though in the tutorial the bag was lined, I would love to line it but I fail to see how it would fit when zipped up. So I used the top stripe to make a neat inside finish and cover the seams.

This is made from two women's shirts - a 100% cotton stripe shirt and a 100% linen shirt (picked up in a "fill a bag for $5). The zips are also recycled from articles I have picked up.

I now have a list of how I would change it in the future.
1) put a tab and D ring on so that I could attach my keys and use it by itself.
2) make the bottom of the bag a bit more square which may give it a better look when zipped up
3) the second had zip is hard to zip up. Aaron suggested using a chunkier zip and maybe not sewing so close to the zip. I think he is right.

Open it up and it is ready to use.
I link to these places


9 comments:

  1. That's great. Love you recycled a shirt for this. I made one of these earlier this year and I agree a chunkier zip and not sewing so close to the zip would make a big difference. I also like your suggestion of a key ring tab! :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Id love to make this....might need some help though. Not confident to try on my own! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could do it one night with all the others.?? OR just you and me!!

      Delete
  3. Wow! that is impressive! Fantastic idea Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool bag! You did well to put that together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute project! Love this idea!Thanks so much for sharing! Would love to have you visit me sometime.
    Have a fabulous week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cool! I like the two fabrics together!
    Esther
    esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness - how clever!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A gorgeous break in Rarotonga

Woo hoo, A holiday with no kids for 11 days. Bliss, relaxing and warm! BTW it was an early 20th wedding anniversary present to ourselves....