I have had the jersey for Eli cut out for ages but have been trying to finish older stashed things. In between quilting my hourglass quilt, I used this jersey as time out from that heavy work.
Eli was thrilled last night when I got him out of bed (10 minutes after lights out) to get him to try on a finished jersey. He wanted to wear it to school today - so it must have the seal of approval.
Up until now I have just used my own pattern in my head. Lots of measuring of the boys and umming and aahhing. One top just was not successful, the hood was too big, the sleeves too short. The boys have always loved hoods but this time Eli did not want one.
I had a light bulb moment at the end of making Jakob's hoodie and remembered all the kids pattern books that I bought in the 1990's. Top Kids. They were amazing patterns, great finishing - I made a lot of kids clothes for my friends kids, nieces and nephews. This really upped my sewing skills and was when I got a lot more proficient at finishing and sewing. Thanks Top Kids. I had stopped sewing as my things looked homemade rather than professional. But slowly my confidence has increased as it doesn't matter if the kids stuff doesn't quite fit - they will grow into it.
|The pattern I used|
Yippee all done - warm boys for the winter!!!
|The facing inside the zip|
I link to these places