Saturday, December 14, 2013

A finished refashion and a new tool

About a year ago I bought this nightie from and Op Shop. It is a really pretty cotton lawn but rather old fashioned in it's style. Gathered from the top with lace it just kind of hangs over you. So I never really wore it. Then one of my nighties got so old the fabric ripped in the wash. I cut it down the middle and used it as a pattern to refashion this.

Old style top the the nightie

recycled clothing
I cut the skirt off at a reasonable height and then gathered the material onto some piping that I had made for the bean bag refashion. Then I cut a new top out and sewed with some piping and bias binding. I was halfway through making this and it was sitting on my sewing table when my purchase arrived in the mail.

What excellent timing. A 2.5cm bias binding maker. No more boring shop bought bias for me, funky stuff to come!! (well that is the intention - we will see how it pans out). I tried it out on some matching red fabric and it made lovely bias binding for the shoulder straps.

The whole outfit even looks a bit Christmassy.

Linking up to Finish it up friday as well as many other places - check out the links here.


  1. It does looks Christmassy! well done you :)

  2. Just followed your blog! Please come follow us back! Thanks.

    1. thanks for letting me know, I was wondering who was new. Popping over to your site.

  3. This is pretty! I have one of those nighties, now I am tempted to flash it up a bit.

    1. You should Lauren, I love a girly nightie - especially being a male dominated house like yours!

  4. Right on for thrifting and repurposing! Very cute finish!

  5. The fabric is very pretty and your refashion is amazing! I especially love the red accents. Congrats on a great finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E


Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A super interesting weekend.

Well we went out to our friends and ended up having the privilege of butchering our own lamb and getting it into the cuts we would use a...