Friday, July 20, 2012
Upcycling - 100% eco Patchwork quilt
Today I spent the time making the basics of the quilt sandwich. So I made the top - out of three bits of sheeting, the backing was also made this way. These bits of sheeting were sheets purchased from the Op Shop for $3 or under, I made them into duvet covers for the boys. But the bits were left over. So I sewed them together in strips until they were big enough for a lap quilt. Then I used all the leftover scraps of batting from other projects. This took five pieces sewn together.
The picture is me putting the quilt sandwich together. So there is a scrap top, scrap batting and a scrap backing. You can see all the seams on the photo but I am hoping that at the end this will not show through. I tried using basting spray for the first time (instead of pins), it took a lot more spray than I thought and it was not as successful as I hoped. May have to revert to the pinning effort.
Anyway - I am going to use bits that I pick up from the various quilt gatherings I go to. I hate seeing waste and at a lot of places I have picked up quite large quantities of material from the bins. Generally I use those bits to make quilts for the orphanage in El Dorat So it will be stitched as a raw edge piecing and will be interesting to see how it turns out. I will keep you posted.
Sometimes, when camping, I can muster the energy to go above and beyond for a meal. It tends to be brunch. In the tiny cooking space in t...
Last year I had a glut of Feijoa's from our lovely tree. After preserving, making jam and all those industrious things I had little ones...
Well I am really pleased with this. It's come out better than I planned. I used an old blanket from an Op Shop sold as a dog blanket a...