Wednesday, April 25, 2018

So happy with my sewing and fit

 I'm so happy with this top I finished just in time for work on Tuesday. The pattern is from Twig and Tale and is their driftwood blouse pattern. I had previously made a trial short sleeve version (about 6 months ago), so I knew where I wanted to tweek it and I am so so thrilled.
Twig and Tale pattern
I have found sewing for myself difficult in the past. I don't like the finished garment often or the shape or the hang etc and get put off. I have no waist so lots of stuff looks awful. But this pattern just works. I knew it wood when as soon as Lisa put it up for sale as I have quite a few tops purchased that have a similar look. I cut the pattern out as is and then cut 2cm from around the neck once it was sewn together, I wanted a slightly more open neck area. I extended the binding a bit. It did mean that the gather at the front was not as much as normal at the binding, but I don't think that affects the look.


A while ago I tried shirring for the very first time, to mend a top and was happy with the result. I knew that I wanted to alter the driftwood blouse pattern a bit. I shirred four lines at a point halfway between my wrist and elbow to give a retro look to the sleeve. I also shirred three lines around the base of the shirt as tucking in looks ghastly and leaving it hanging looked like I was trying to hide my tummy!

A couple of process shots.
Linking to these places and a few others.

1 comment:

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love that you took time out to comment on my blog.

A super interesting weekend.

Well we went out to our friends and ended up having the privilege of butchering our own lamb and getting it into the cuts we would use a...