Inspired by my recent finish of a recycled quilt I went through the stack of unfinished projects by my machine. There was a dress I had bought about a month ago from a Save the Children Op Shop in Christchurch.
I am not very good at sewing clothes for myself from scratch, but if something fits I know I can generally make it look better.
One of the things that really bug me about ladies clothes is NO POCKETS - why why why. Yes I carry a handbag but it is so handy to have pockets. And why was there no fastening at the waist? - so it gaped - no dome or button or anything.
So I made a new collar, new sleeve end, stitched a pocket into the waistband but floats externally, shortened the length and added some bias, added a $1 belt also from the Op Shop and presto - A new outfit that I am thrilled with.
I wore it to church today and heaps of people commented on it.
$5.50 fat quarter of green and black flower material from quilters quarters in Rangiora
|The finished article.|
|The before (sorry not good photo)|
|The before on my dress model|
|Worn to church this morning|
|icky 80's collar|
|off with the collar and half the sleeve|
|On with a new collar|
|on with a new cuff|
|Add an external pocket|
|jazz up the bottom of the skirts. Shorten by 1 inch and add bias|